Many family members ask me “what do I talk to my mom/dad about? We talk for a few minutes, then it’s silence.”
Well, there are certain things you can talk with them about to learn more about them. Ask open-ended questions that might start some interesting conversation:
1. What job did you have enjoyed/didn’t like?
2. Did you ever have a pen pal?
3. What is your favorite/least favorite family story?
4. Did you travel? What is your favorite place? Where would you have liked to visit?
5. What is your happiest memory?
6. What subjects did you enjoy is school?
7. What was the best date you ever went on like?
8. What is the most important world event you experienced?
9. Who were your childhood friends?
10. What fads did you love/not like?
Any open ended questions that will help you keep coversation going and allow you to get to know your parents better. The more you get to know, the easier it will be to understand them as they get older.